1.07.2008

Exhibit 6.3

Three new journals that I have work in:


I have a story titled "The Way Back" in this issue. This story is notable for being:

1) The only story I have ever written that takes place in Kansas despite my having been born and graduated high school in The Sunflower State.

2) The only story I have that takes place in 1996. Bizarrely, it doesn't even mention Weezer.

3) The longest story I have ever published at somewhere north of 9.5k words.

The issue is fantastic (much better than my sad story), and you should be sure to check it out. I've always thought IR had some of the best design of any of the standard format journals, and now I'm convinced. I can vouch firsthand for how hard they work to make sure everything is perfect. They really care. It's pretty cool.


So, they don't actually put covers of the issues up on their website, but I figured the state seal of South Dakota would get the idea across. More great stuff here, some Midwestern themed, some not. It features Lincolnite Cody Lumpkin with a poem about squirrel metaphysics and my poet doppelgänger Allan Peterson. I hope Mr. Peterson doesn't get confused with me all the time like I do him.

You: Are you the poet Allan Peterson?
Me: I'm the fiction writer Adam Peterson?
You: Are you not sure which one you are?
Me: No?

My story is titled "Miss Nebraska" and is notable for:

1) Having had, by some great margin, the shortest length of time between when I wrote the story, when it was accepted, and when it was actually published and in my hands. I'm actually not even sure I've finished it yet.

2) Taking place in North Platte, Nebraska, the town where I lived between the ages of 6 and 15. Although all place names (I think) are made up, the essence of the town is not.

3) Being the only story of mine where someone is entered into a beauty pageant. Let's just hope this doesn't send me off on a Sufjan Stevens-like quest to document how all 50 states select their Miss America representative.

Also notable is that the state motto of South Dakota is apparently "Under God the People Rule" which strikes me as having a 'when the cat's away the mice will play' sort of logic to it. This will be explored further in my story "Miss South Dakota" which should be out circa 2034.

There's not much I can say to demonstrate Ninth Letter's thorough awesomeness. It's a fusion of design and text unlike anything else out there, and I feel lucky to be in it at all.

When the first issue came out I was opening mail for a journal and wasn't sure what it was when I opened the copy they sent us. Flipping through it, it became clear they were doing something completely different than anyone else. Now on their 8th issue, they are still making an exciting and beautiful journal. That I am just as in awe when I see Ninth Letter as I was the first time makes me really happy.

My piece is another My Untimely Death which you can see my previous post about here or just order by specifying the title and sending $10 to this address:

Subito Press
Department of English
University of Colorado at Boulder
Hellems 101226 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0226

Notable things about my shameless self promotion:

1) I feel bad about it.

2) I wish I could give you a copy if I haven't already.

3) It only benefits the good folks at Subito Press.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, are you sure you weren't born in Council Bluffs? I could have sworn that you were.

A. Peterson said...

I thought so too. Turns out, Kansas. I'm still sad about this.