1.17.2008

Exhibit 6.8

I don't know when I took on my dad's love of having unused lights turned off, but it's undeniable now that this trait has been passed down (I have also acquired very concrete ideas about how tire pressure should be constantly monitored).

I want to say that my father and I have different reasons for wanting the lights off. Rather than the fear of a vaguely higher electric bill, I'm trying to protect the environment by making sure the resources of a 1-bedroom apartment in Lincoln, Nebraska, are most optimally being utilized. I don't want to melt ice caps or take the tops off mountains in order for us to use our large television as a nightlight. When we leave our computers on all night because the dogs like the pretty colors of the screensavers, when we buy more lamps because they look nice, when we turn on all these new lamps because they look even nicer, well, these things make me sad.

I want to say these things, but it's hard to explain this when I'm yelling at you to off the lights when you leave a room.

1 comment:

julee said...

watch out for when the urge gets past lights. i have moved on to only recharging rechargables when they are on the last bar, and unplugging everything except for the tv and the vcr when they aren't on. (i can't be bothered to re-program these electronics every time i plug them back in!) i'm going to name my ailment "phantom power ocd".