1.19.2011

Exhibit 1.1.27

Things

* A nice review of Andrew Borgstrom's Explanations here.

* And another one here.

* I guess what I'm saying is, you should probably order it here.

* In all seriousness, this volume has gotten a great response and we at The Cupboard are really excited about it. Many thanks to all the kind reviewers spreading the word.

* In non-Cupboard news, Royals' pitcher Gil Meche walked away from $12.4 million dollars because he couldn't help the team this year. No, really, he retired instead of taking money he was owed on his contract. To be honest, I don't know if it's honorable, exactly, but it's certainly unique. Not that it's not honorable, just that I think Gil earned that money whether or not he was injured, and I'd rather see it in the pocket of a player who carried the Royals for two seasons than in the owner's.

* O well. Good for Gil. Sad to see him go, but it's the rare athlete who honestly assesses himself and does what he thinks he's obligated to do. In a fair world, the Royals' owners would reward his behavior by paying him some/most of the money anyway. As much as this ever happens--and it never happens--usually an injury settlement is involved. The Royals claim that's not happening so I guess all Meche earns in the final year of his career is a lot of respect.

* Yesterday I heard an elderly professor use the words 'hullabaloo' 'poppycock' and 'Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.' I just thought you should know that.

* It was a weird class.

No comments: